Assistant Principal; Deputy Head of Primary
Leadership Scale L8—L12 (£50,397—£55,610)
Start: September 2022
Closing date: Thursday 19th May, midday
Do you want to work in a school…
· That has undergone rapid cultural and transformational change?
· That is the 27th most improved school nationally for its GCSE results and is in the top 5% of all schools nationally for its A Level results?
· Where the teacher is valued as the expert?
· That has a very clear and systematic approach to student care and behaviour, with a centralised approach and its own alternative provision?
· That takes workload seriously? That has a clear workload charter, has a rational approach to marking. restricts email use at weekends and during holidays and does not see 1265 as a target to meet?
· That believes in co-planning, retrieval practice, Direct Instruction and traditional approaches to teaching?
· That values its staff and has a strong approach to CPD?
· That is an Investors in People Gold School and an IQM Flagship School?
· That is an all-through setting?
· That prioritises a ‘Knowledge Rich’ curricular approach, valuing hugely the importance of the curriculum?
· That offers subject teams a weekly meeting?
· Where the senior team are on the ground and are highly supportive?
· Where, as the staff themselves have cited, ‘leadership inspires them’?
· That has attracted a lot of positive national attention, where members of staff speak nationally and internationally?
· That is the home of ResearchED Northampton?
· Where the staff are fully behind our ambition for excellence?
· That is values-driven, wanting the very best for the students?
· That has a clear coaching culture to help drive improvement?
· Where we take research seriously and have our own action research team?
· Where people feel valued, and morale is high across the school?
· That has rapidly transformed from a double RI school to an Ofsted Good school?
If your answer to the above questions is a yes then please carry on reading this advert.
The Duston School is looking to appoint an Assistant Principal; Deputy Head of Primary Phase.
Duties will include:
· To assist the Head of the Primary Phase in the day-to-day running of the primary setting, providing clear strategic vision, leadership and management
· To predominantly lead and drive on the curriculum, teaching and learning and staff professional development but your core role can change in light of the needs of the school
· To teach a 50% contact ratio and to role model highly effective teaching to other staff
· To support the Head of the Primary Phase to drive educational standards that lead to positive outcomes for children
· To analyse and evaluate key data sets where appropriate to drive educational standards
· To lead the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and practice to improve the quality of the educational provision
· To research and evaluate innovative practice and draw on research to further enhance the quality of provision within the Primary Phase
· To seek opportunities to work collaboratively with other educational settings and professionals
· To monitor, evaluate and review classroom practice and promote inclusion and improvement strategies for all
· To support the Head of Primary Phase to challenge underperformance at all levels
· To lead continued professional development of staff
· To ensure relevant financial plans are in place that provide value for money
· To work with the Head of Primary to ensure that safeguarding practices are rigorous, understood and followed by all staff
· To deputise, as appropriate, for the Head of the Primary Phase
· To carry out any other duty as deemed necessary by the school’s Principal
· To line manage key areas of the Primary Phase as deemed appropriate
· To contribute to the wider whole-school as deemed appropriate by the school’s Principal
The school offers competitive working conditions and packages, including:
- Westfield Healthcare Plan.
- A laptop.
- Free on-site parking.
- A sensible approach to marking.
- Two faculty away days per year for departmental planning.
- A school meeting calendar that privies year team and faculty meeting time.
- A strong school culture.
- A centralised approach to student care and detentions.
- A knowledge rich curriculum.
- A sensible approach to emails, with no work emails sent at weekends and during the Christmas, Easter and Summer breaks.
- A strong stance on staff CPD, with a real focus on staff subject knowledge.
Please complete an application form (we do not accept a CV alone) along with a letter of application to the Principal. Please email the application form and letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
The Duston School is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow safer recruitment practice and all appointments are subject to satisfactory DBS checks. In addition references will be requested for short listed applicants prior to interview and will form part of the interview process.
Please apply here if you are interested in this role