After a rigorous inspection by the Department for Education (DFE), The Duston School is delighted to be named one of the Lead Schools for Behaviour and Culture in England. This accolade is one of which the entire Duston community should be proud of as we work together to prepare our young people for life beyond school.
WHAT DOES IT INVOLVE?
Guided by the government lead advisor on behaviour in schools, Tom Bennett, The Duston School leaders will be working with schools across the country, supporting them to develop school cultures that optimise behaviour that will ultimately improve pupil attainment and narrow the educational gaps that we seek to eradicate.
The programme is based on the Department for Education (DfE) review of behaviour in schools Creating a Culture: how school leaders can optimise behaviour (2017).
The core principles of this review include:
· Having a clear understanding of what the school culture is
· High expectations of pupils and a belief that all pupils matter
· Consistency and attention to detail in the execution of school routines, norms and values
THE BEHAVIOUR HUBS PROGRAMME – AN OUTLINE
· £10m programme running for three and a half years
· Aims to support schools to improve pupil behaviour and behaviour practices in schools across the country
· Enables partnership working
· A comprehensive training offer and task force of behaviour advisers
· Lead schools, Lead multi-academy trusts (MATs), Partner schools and Partner MATs will work together to form ‘Hubs’
· Open to primary, secondary, special, alternative provision (AP) and MATs
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME ARE TO:
· Create Hubs in which exemplary Lead schools work closely with Partner schools to improve their behaviour cultures
· Equip senior leaders to improve their school’s behaviour policies and practices via facilitated peer learning
· Generate cultural change in schools that want to reduce their levels of low-level disruption and challenging behaviour
Through our work as a Lead School on the Behaviour Hub programme we have received many plaudits, commendations and letters of praise for the support we have given to our partner school. We are humbled by the commentary by George Dixon School
Please see attached document at the bottom of this page