The core aims of the PE department are to:
- Promote a lifelong love of physical activity.
- Develop an appreciation of the contribution of physical activity to a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Foster personal and social skills for use in all aspects of life.
- Support all students in maximising their sporting potential as a performer.
All lessons will address both performance aims and broader educational values including social and cultural aspects, thinking and analytical skills, personal development.
Key Stage 3 Curriculum Offer
Years 7/8/9 students will have two lessons of core physical education per week with the students following a broad and balanced programme of study.
Activities in key stage 3 include Football, Netball, Rugby, Swimming, Table Tennis, Athletics, Cricket, Rounders, Tennis, Dance and Gymnastics.
Key Stage 4/5 Core Curriculum Offer
Years 10/11/12/13 students will have one lesson of core physical education per week.
Activities in key stage 4 include Fitness, Transferable Skills, Football, Netball, Softball, Athletics, Volleyball, Badminton, Dodgeball, Basketball and Trampolining.
Key Stage 4 Exam Offer
Current year 10 students will have three lessons per week completing the BTEC First Award in Sport.
Current year 11 students will have three lessons per week completing either GCSE PE/BTEC First Award in Sport.
Key Stage 5 Exam Offer
Year 12/13 students will have five lessons per week and are currently completing AQA AS/A-Level in Physical Education.
Year 12 students can also complete the Level 3 Sports Leadership Award, which will be delivered across three lessons a week.
All students in key stage 3/4 are required to wear the appropriate Duston School PE kit.
This kit must include:
- Blue school PE t-shirt
- Blue school PE Rugby top/Black school Training top (Girls)
- Black school PE shorts
- Black schooltracksuit bottoms/plain black leggings (Girls)
- Blue school PE Football socks
- White sports socks
- Non-marking trainers
Students will also require further kit dependent on activities:
- Football boots (Football/Rugby)
- Shin pads
- Gum shield (advisable for Rugby)
Students in key stage 5 are required to wear appropriate sportswear to take part in their core PE lessons.
All Students are expected to bring their PE kit to all core PE lessons. Failure to bring PE kit to the lesson will result in a behaviour point being issued.
If your son/daughter is injured or unwell, please communicate this to their PE teacher by email or written note. The PE teacher will then adapt the lesson for your child so that they can still take part through coaching, umpiring or observational roles.
The study of Physical Education provides a stepping-stone towards a number of further education and career opportunities. These include:
- Teaching/Lecturing – Primary and Secondary PE/Sport and further education.
- Professional Sports Athlete.
- Health – Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation, Psychology, Nutritionist, Fitness Instructor.
- Media – Sports Journalism, Sports Photography, Presenting & Commentary, Statistical Analysis.
- Coaching – Sports Instructor, Sports Coach.
- Travel & Tourism.
- Events/Planning and Hospitality.
- Officiating – Refereeing/Umpiring.
- Community Work – Local Sports Authorities, Local Associations.
- National Governing Bodies.